I’m a Christian, and sometimes a teacher/preacher.
This sermon looks at the Infinity War plotline in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, through a gospel lens. I preached this at Lexington Comic & Toy Con 2018.
In Guardians of the Galaxy, Taneleer Tivan (also known as The Collector) explains what the stones are:
“Before creation itself, there were six singularities. Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots — Infinity Stones.”
Here’s what the stones are, and where we’ve seen them in the movies:
- Space Stone (Tesseract)
- exist in any location
- move any object anywhere throughout reality
- teleport self and others to any place imagined
- warp or rearrange space
- alter distance between objects
- At full potential — omnipresence
- Reality Stone (Aether)
- fulfill wishes, even contradicting scientific laws
- do things that would normally be impossible
- create any alternate reality
- At full potential — alter reality
- Power Stone (The Orb)
- access and manipulate all forms of energy
- enhance physical strength and durability
- boost the effects of the other Stones
- At full potential — omnipotence
- Mind Stone (The Vision)
- enhance mental and psionic abilities
- access the thoughts and dreams of other beings
- access all minds in existence simultaneously
- At full potential — universal subconscious
- Time Stone (The Eye of Agamotto)
- see into the past and the future
- stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time
- time travel
- change the past and the future
- age and de-age beings
- trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time
- At full potential — omniscience and time control
- Soul Stone (unknown)
- steal, control, manipulate, and alter living and dead souls
- gateway to an idyllic pocket universe
- At full potential — control all life
There’s an actual “infinity war” going on here in the real world. All eternity is at stake, for all of mankind.
Our enemy is Satan, who has already lost Heaven, and wants to drag us to the depths with him.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)
God’s Infinity Stones
- Space No one can hide where I cannot see them. I am everywhere in heaven and on earth. (Jeremiah 23:24)
- Reality In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)
- Power Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” (Matthew 28:18)
- Time “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come.” (Revelation 1:9)
- Mind Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite. (Psalm 147:5)
- Soul Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the parent and the soul of the child is mine: the soul who sins shall die. (Ezekiel 18:4)
But the war is already won, on our behalf!
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Revelation 12:9)
The devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10)
You can get a copy of the PowerPoint slides here.
You can see FOX Lexington’s news story and video here.