Over the years, there have been many bands who play like they don’t know the 60’s ever came to an end. This is great news.
On most stops along my magical musical tour, I’ve listed Known For for each band, to remind the reader where they might have heard of the bands before. But most of these bands are not known for anything, at least that I’m aware of. So I’ve replaced that with a Sounds Like, to give you a clue of who else they might remind you of.
These are “my” bands. The bands that helped shape who I am, roughly in order of how much they mean to me.
Dave Mattingly: The Musical, Part 15
- Sounds Like: The Animals, Van Morrison/Them, Sweet, The Standells, MC5
- Memories: The first song I heard from Mystic Eyes was “From Above” back in 1986. I thought that the singer, Bernie Kugel, sounded like Elmer Fudd with a cold (and I mean that in the best way possible), and loved him for it. The first line of their opening track, “she’s got a reason” sounds a bit like “she’s got a weasel”, which makes She Don’t Cry No More even more fun. In 1993 or so, I was on a business trip to Pittsburgh, and got to town a day before my conference, so I stopped by Get Hip headquarters, the label that produced their albums. It was great to meet the folks there, and pick up the band’s second album (that I didn’t even know existed).
- Favorite Songs: From Above, Calm Me Down, I Lost My World, She Don’t Cry No More, I Believe You, I Can Only Give You Everything
- Links: Some of their songs can be found here and here, and a great retrospective here.
- Beach Day
- Sounds Like: The Turtles, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Queen, Lovin’ Spoonful
- Favorite Songs: Now She Knows She’s Wrong
Girl Power Pop
Belle and Sebastian
- Sounds Like: The Association, Stereolab, The Cowsells
- Favorite Songs: Write About Love
Go back to Part 14: Halloween Music